VPX Backdrop POV Import/Export Tutorial

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Drybonz
    Participant
      @drybonz

Starting in version 10 (VPX), Visual Pinball has a great feature that allows you to import and export your backdrop POV settings.  These Settings include the landscape/portrait (0/270), x/y scale and position (how wide and tall the table is on your screen) and incline/layback, etc…

When you download a table, the backdrop POV settings aren’t always how you want them.  Maybe you like your table positioned differently on the screen, or you like your table in landscape and the author has made it in portrait.  You can enter the settings you prefer manually, or you can use the camera/light mode (check the table menu for this great feature) for an even easier way to set up the table…

However!  VPX has an even super, super easier way to import settings from someone else without having to change any settings at all manually.  This is done by importing an .xml file that already contains all the settings.  If someone posts the .xml file, or sometimes the author of the table will provide one, all you have to do to import it is go to the file menu in the VPX editor > import > backdrop POV… and then select the .xml file.  The next time you start the table you will see that all the work has already been done for you.

POV-Tutorial

You will notice that below the import menu there is also an option to “export” your POV file.  This will export your settings in that same .xml format.  This is how you can share your settings with someone else.  This is also a really great way to “back up” the settings for your tables.  If you have a table that you have set up a certain way, you can back up the settings by exporting the files to a folder for safe keeping.  After a recent hard disk crash, I was able to easily restore the POV settings of many of my tables because I had exported them all to a folder.

The backup POV import/export is an incredibly useful feature in VPX that is, perhaps, under-utilized.  Tell all your friends about it.    B-)

*edit*  Feel free to link to this tutorial if anyone has questions about this feature in other threads.

Attachments:
      8 users thanked author for this post.
      RustyCardores
        @rustycardores
        MemberModerator

I couldn’t live without it ;)

Sliderpoint
        Participant
          @sliderpoint
          MemberContributor

Perfect.

You should add a section on camera/light mode for fine tuning too!

Drybonz
          Participant
            @drybonz

Perfect. You should add a section on camera/light mode for fine tuning too!

Thanks!  I was planning on making a whole separate tutorial with more pictures for that.

randr
            Keymaster
              @randr
              ModeratorMember

You make them I’ll add a section on main menu linking to them. You can also do them as s blog(full HTML) located under your profile “blog” people can comment on them too.

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
              So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
              for IOS and Android

Drybonz
              Participant
                @drybonz

Camera/light mode tutorial has been added here:

http://vpinball.com/members/drybonz/buddyblog/

In blog form as requested.

randr
                Keymaster
                  @randr
                  ModeratorMember

So well done! Much better then a forum post I think now people need to get used to the. Blog format and comment on them like a forum :good:

for IOS and Android

Koolywiz
                  Participant
                    @koolywiz

Excellent post!!!  I wish more people would upload their cabinet xml settings.  Maybe someone has a huge cache of them uploaded somewhere and I missed it.  Anyways thanks for the tutorial it will hopefully inspire others to create some.  It’s a great feature. I’m still learning it but am not as good as the masters yet.

Dark
                      @dark
                      vipMemberContributor

I asked fuzzel recently if we could just abandon the DT / FS view option and instead (or also) have a drop down menu similar to material or texture drop down menu’s in primitive options that could list a variety of xmls.  This way you could import and store any number of back drop settings and then you can name them accordingly to keep it organised.

I hadn’t heard back on it so I don’t know if he’s keen on the idea or not.

3dcreation

BorgDog
                      Participant
                        @borgdog
                        MemberContributorvip

Nice idea Dark.  I’m guessing some of that whole setup may change if they add multi screen capabilities and backglass built into VP, but that would still be a nice option.

randr
                        Keymaster
                          @randr
                          ModeratorMember

new area created for these tutorials!

http://vpinball.com/category/tutorials/

********************************************************
                          for IOS and Android

BorgDog
                          Participant
                            @borgdog
                            MemberContributorvip

new area created for these tutorials! http://vpinball.com/category/tutorials/

Cool, but the dropdown menu has the Tutorials off the left side of my computer screen.

Attachments:
                            randr
                            Keymaster
                              @randr
                              ModeratorMember

Chrome? edge?

for IOS and Android

randr
                              Keymaster
                                @randr
                                ModeratorMember

I dumbed that menu down to simple drop down. should work now

for IOS and Android

Drybonz
                                Participant
                                  @drybonz

I dumbed that menu down to simple drop down. should work now

Yeah, that looks better all around, IMO.

randr
                                  Keymaster
                                    @randr
                                    ModeratorMember

Dumbed all menu items down. no idea why I was using a “mega” menu

for IOS and Android

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                    MnHotRod
                                    Participant
                                      @mnhotrod

Nice work Drybonz. Will check out Camera View tutorial next

knightrider
                                      Participant
                                        @knightrdrx

in 10.6 you can’t import an xml.  you can if you select all files and it shows  ‘old pov’   i tried that and the program closed out.

What do I do with the xml then?

outhere
                                          @outhere
                                          MemberContributorvipModerator

Change xml to pov

xenonph
                                          Participant
                                            @xenonph
                                            MemberContributor

Works for me with the method you described.

Not sure why it would close program out.

Maybe try changing .xml to .pov and see if that helps you.

I changed a pov file to xml and it imported fine, and vice versa.

EDIT: Outhere is quicker typer!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?